Sunday, January 31, 2010

$10 Billion? Whoa.

Yesterday's entry brought up a lot of interesting feelings. It was definitely the busiest day of the trip and after reading what I wrote, I remembered it well. I'm really glad I videotaped the ride to the orphanage. It's crazy to see everything. For instance, at 1:39 of the video you see the Total station on the left. Here it is now:


































And then going to Cyvadier, which was probably the nicest place in Jacmel. It was three stories, right on the beach. Just gorgeous. And it was destroyed:



























So, as I read about and remembered all the fun thing we did that day, it reminded me of the destruction that followed. Sucks.

I've been thinking lately about the rebuilding of Haiti, too. Like, how it's actually going to work. I'm just so curious about the future. What will it look like in 5 years? 10? I know a ton of money has been given and lots of people are going to help, but I just can't imagine the actual process of getting it done. Even just at its base, where are all the materials going to come from? And are the prices going to be outrageous? What about tools and machinery? It's not that I think they won't rebuild, I'm just interested in how it's actually going to happen. And I'm looking forward to being a part of it.

Also, I read that the Gates' gave $10 billion for world vaccinations. That's awesome, but it seemed like odd timing to me. "Aww, you raised $54 million for Haiti? That's adorable!" I mean...TEN BILLION DOLLARS. Like, why not give 1 billion to Haiti? It's just such a crazy number. Again, it's awesome, just seemed a little strangely timed.

Anyway, this week will include the conclusion of our trip and then our return and learning about the quake and reaction to it. I'm simultaneously looking forward to it...and not. Should at least be interesting. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment