Chris Martin (Coldplay) is playing piano while Beyonce sings, "Haiti, I can see your halo..." and I'm overwhelmed with emotion. It's so corny, but they're doing what they can to help. They're playing clips from the first days after the earthquake...and I have to turn it off. I'm actually shaking. I thought I had distanced myself from these feelings, but clearly they're still beneath the surface.
This fundraiser is being broadcast on over 25 networks and millions upon millions of people all over the world are watching and giving. And thinking about Haiti. It's kind of blowing my mind. But it leads to something else I was thinking about early today.
I wonder how aware the Haitians are that the world is watching them? And concerned for them? And helping them? And loving them? They're trying to survive and we're watching Sting and Questlove perform to raise money for them. They're trying to find drinkable water and we're watching Justin Timberlake and some other dude (who's friggin' awesome, by the way) sing Hallelujah. They're trying to find medicine and we're watching Steven Spielberg take donations from a lady, asking her how she feels about the situation. It's mind-boggling. Surreal.
I'm so glad to see people from all walks of life doing whatever they can to help. To see celebrities using their status, their fame for good. It's a little weird, but...whatever it takes.
I just hope the people of Haiti can sense the love that the world has for them at this time. And I hope that love doesn't fade.
No comments:
Post a Comment