Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 9 (Jan 9th, 2010)

Most of the guys went to work on the wall this morning. I stayed back and sent a box of Clif bars with them as my contribution. I feel a little bad, but I don't have a connection with that wall like they do. I'm not a ton of help. So, I stayed and finished "Introverts." It was really good. Got a little long, but still good.

In a little while we go to the beach with the kids for the last time. Inevitably, I'll look for my ring again. Although, I'm looking forward to the new one. I want to get a thicker, heavier silver band from Terry's.

I'll tell you what I will not miss: Mosquitoes.

They make life miserable. Constant paranoia. Good riddance, suckers. (As I was writing this, one of them was buzzing around me and I swatted at it with my notebook.)
...
We left for the beach around 11am, I think, and got there in time to swim a while before the kids arrived. It was really wavy today. Even now it's super windy. The waves actually made it really difficult to play with the kids. But, they still had a good time.

I only put sunblock on my face and neck today, because I was wearing my shirt when I applied it. Genius. So, now I'm burned to a crisp. What sucks is that, when I go home, nobody will even know. Stupid cold weather, making me wear sweaters.

Kangine was cute. She's always so shy. After a while today she came in the water and said, "Hello, Pastor Ryan." Adorable.

Right now, there's a guy walking his goats on leashes on the beach. Nice.
...
On the way home from the beach, Mandy asked if I had had any freakout moments on the trip. "Not because of Haiti," I said. Steve said it's the most relaxed/laid-back he's ever seen me. I agree. His mom was super surprised to learn that I'm a worry-wort. I really do hope to take this attitude back with me.

I give my little talk at the crusade tonight. I'm excited. I hope it translates well!
...
I'm currently sitting stage-side for one of the most painful experiences of my life. (Dramatic much? Sheesh) Two girls are screaming their way through a song, terrible musicians playing and feedback going in and out, the mic sometimes working and sometimes not, and a competing crusade literally 200 feet away. They are blaring recorded music. There's barely anybody here. I'm supposed to speak at some point. I'm sure I'll see the good in this in retrospect. Right?

This whole thing is an introvert's nightmare. A noisy assault on the ears. I can't hear myself think. The sound system is so loud, everything is distorted. And the other crusade just turned up their music. And everything is in Kreyol, so it's just noise to me. No meaning. I'm trying to stay sane.
...
(In retrospect...I was really selfish that night. It WAS painful, to be sure, but it wasn't about me. I wasn't understanding in any way. They were doing their best to worship God. They were passionate and I was annoyed. It definitely was NOT the most painful experience of my life. It was something I'll always remember.)

No comments:

Post a Comment