My Ring
While we were out in the sea, Ole brought out a football and we tossed it around. I didn't throw it hard, though, because I didn't want my wedding ring to come off.
See, Julie and I had even talked about it before I left. She has a ring that looks similar to mine and she wanted me to wear that one and leave mine at home. I refused. I didn't want HER ring, I wanted MINE.
So, there I was, ring on my finger, throwing the ball to Mark and...zip! I felt it slide off my finger, saw it in the air and then it hit the water with a bloop. I swore and then immediately apologized. I dove in after it, but had that sinking feeling; no pun intended. I knew it was gone right away. I still hoped we'd find it, though. Six of us searched hard, but to no avail. The current was strong and every step agitated the silt. It disappeared, swallowed by the sea.
You won this time, sea. You beat me.
(At this point, I wrote a letter of apology to my wife)
And a poem.
Ring
Your beginnings were humble
Your end was romantic
Your life was full
Frugally, we chose you
You weren't offended
You didn't complain
You were polished and branded
"You amaze me" inside
Shiney and new
Your big day came and
She slipped you onto my finger
You sealed our commitment
You went with us to Europe
You were there when our first was born
And our second and our third
You were flipped and spun
And flung, but you never left
You faithfully stayed
Then the day came when
You decided it was time
Time to move on
It was eerie, it was like
It was destined to happen
I refused to leave you safely at home
Then, standing in the sea
I made one mistake and off you came
Diving into the waves
I knew when you disappeared
That you were gone forever
Sucked away from me for good
I prayed for a miracle, for you
To come back to me somehow
But you didn't return
Thank you for your faithful service
For your companionship
For nine of the best years of my life
Enjoy the sea.
By Ryan Haack, 1/3/2010
(Day 3 concludes tomorrow...don't worry)
No comments:
Post a Comment