Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day 3 (Jan 3rd, 2010)

We were supposed to get breakfast at 7am and leave for church at 8:30am. At this time (well past 8:30am), we are still waiting for breakfast. Apparently there was a "miscommunication" and they thought we didn't want breakfast, so Mandy had to haggle with them. We'll get to church late, I guess.

Our water didn't work last night, but it was fixed this morning for our cold shower. To be expected. Nick and I spoke for a long time last night. It was awesome. He's such a cool guy. I'm super pumped for him and Kate (his fiance).

Sleep was actually good for the most part. The earplugs were essential as there was a LOUD beach party outside. It only woke me once, though.

I'm going for a walk with Mark and Christy now...

(Later)

Ended up going on a walk with Steve and Nick. Just the couple blocks around our hotel. It's a nicer area, but still totally run-down.



A man ended up walking with us and he showed us a few things. He said he was born in Jacmel and has lived here his whole life. He showed us a little "art studio" where they were painting and making paper machet sculptures. Carnival is coming up, so there are these HUGE masks they are making in preparation. We also saw an art gallery with some gorgeous paintings. Such vibrant colors. I'm going to get one to take home.
...
It ended up that our breakfast was so late, we missed church. I'm kind of sad about it, but not really. We're going to have church here, together, at 10:45am. Hopefully Julie is well enough at home to lead today and hopefully it goes really well.

We're supposed to take the kids to the beach today, but it's overcast and rainy. Hopefully it'll pass, though. The kids are super excited about it. As am I.
...
The Beach

After we finally ate breakfast and had a little church upstairs, we headed to the beach. On the way, we stopped to get supplies for lunch. PB&J and some cookies and juice. At the tiny store they had mouthwash for $20. How would a Haitian buy that?? Answer: They wouldn't. Just tourists.

So, we got to the beach, all of us in the back of a small pick-up truck. It was cool. A little sunny and it was warm enough. The rain subsided for a while, too.




The beach was littered with trash somewhat, but the water was amazing. Cool, not cold, and clear. Steve and I went out a ways and I just stood there, taking it all in. Looking out, seeing the waves as far as I could see. The palm trees on the beach and the mountains surrounding us. Who ever would have thought I'd be in the Caribbean Sea??

1 comment: